Citronella Essential Oil has been used for years to repel insects including Mosquitoes. Citronella Oil is also used in soaps and candles because of its fresh scent. It can help to support a healthy respiratory system and also aid in relaxation. Citronella Essential Oil botanically known as Cymbopogon winterianus, is extracted via steam distillation of the Citronella leaves. Citronella Oil has a slightly floral, rosy, lemon like scent but subtle and softer. The Citronella Oil scent is medium strong with woody tones. Citronella Oil has a pale yellow to brownish consistency. Citronella Essential Oil blends well with Sweet Orange Oil, Bergamot Oil, Pine Oil, Cedarwood Oil, Lavender Oil and Geranium Oil.
Citronella Oil has an array of uses including;
- Aromatherapy: Add a few drops of Citronella Essential Oil to your oil diffuser and enjoy clean air free of impurities. Citronella Oil also uplifts negative moods and feelings.Citronella Oil also boosts energy and promotes cheer due to the pleasant fragrance it produces. Diffusing Citronella is also known to keep insects like mosquitoes and bugs.
- Cleaning: In your cleaning water, add a few drops of Citronella Essential Oil and enjoy clean surfaces that are free of toxic chemicals. Citronella Essential Oil also removes hard water spots and polish chromes. Add a few drops of Citronella Oil to a shaker with a tablespoon of baking soda and water to clean and refresh mattresses and carpets.
- Cosmetics: Citronella Oil is applied topically in the skin by mixing it with a carrier oil that suits your skin type. Citronella Oil enhances the skin’s ability to absorb and retain moisture hence slowing down the signs of aging leaving the skin with a youthful and healthy glow. Citronella Oil also deodorizes the body and eliminates bad body odors. Citronella Oil is also used to de tangle hair safely without damaging it. Citronella Oil is also used to clean the scalp, moisturize it and promote the volume of the hair and protect it from sun damage.
- Soap making and perfume making: Citronella has a sweet floral scent that when mixed with other oils like Ylang Ylang, Sweet Orange, Bergamot, or any floral essential oil. Just add it to a spray bottle about 15 to 20 drops per ounce and enjoy a citrus burst. Citronella Essential Oil is also used in making soaps, shampoos, detergents
and cleaning agents.
- Flavoring dishes and beverages: Citronella Oil is used in flavoring drinks and dishes like cakes and stir fry. Just add a few drops of Citronella Oil in your drink.